Introduction to Asian Digital Art
- Datum: 2017-05-23 kl 15:15 – 17:00
- Plats: Engelska parken Room 2:1077 (Building no 2, 1st. floor, room 77. English park Campus Thunbergsvägen 3H).
- Föreläsare: Shigekazu Sakai, visiting researcher at the Department of Art History at Uppsala University, professor of WASEDA University, Tokyo, Japan.
- Arrangör: Konstvetenskapliga institutionen/Department of Art History
- Kontaktperson: Johan Eriksson
Visiting researcher Prof. Shigekazu Sakai gives an introduction to contemporary Asian art and digital artworks by young artists in East Asia, with a focus on Japanese art. Open lecture.
Currently, the economic progress of the East Asian region creates many new cultural
trends. Along with that, a lot of artworks applying digital technology are also being
produced. In this lecture, recent digital artwork produced by young people in the
past 10 years in East Asia, mainly Japan, is presented. During the lecture, prof. Sakai would like you to feel the power of a young generation of Asian artists and the sense of an art
that has gradually become “high art”.
Prof. Sakai is a specialist in computer graphics and has been applying CG images for science education programs in TV broadcasting for over 35 years. His current project focuses on the historical origin of CG and the relationship and division between art and science in Early Modern Europe, ca. 1500–1700 in search for the roots of computer graphics.