Book launch of “Military reform and Militarism in Russia.”
- Datum: 2017-09-28 kl 15:15 – 17:00
- Plats: Institute for Russian and Eurasian Studies (IRES) Gamla Torget 3, 3 vån, IRES Library
- Föreläsare: Aleksandr Golts is a Russian journalist who has covered military affairs since the days of Leonid Brezhnev. During his early time at the Soviet Army newspaper Krasnaya Zvezda, he covered the war in Afghanistan first hand. He has also travelled to and covered developments in Cuba and Nicaragua. In 2001-2004, he served as deputy editor-in-chief of the weekly Moscow-based magazine Yezhenedelnyi journal. During that time, in 2002-2003, he also spent a year as a visiting fellow at Stanford University’s Center for International Security and Cooperation (CISAC).
- Arrangör: Institute for Russian and Eurasian Studies (IRES)
- Kontaktperson: Jevgenija Gehsbarga
- Telefon: 018 471 1630
The book covers the experience of Russian ambitions to implement military reform. It provides detailed insights into the dynamics of what has been an ongoing struggle to modernize and adjust the Russian armed forces to new challenges. It presents the ambitions and failures of a series of high-profile reformers, and concludes with an initiated discussion of the role of militarism in Russian society
The book was published by Uppsala University, in its series Acta Universitatis Upsaliensis. It is available as an e-book here: http://www.diva-portal.org/smash/get/diva2:1138525/FULLTEXT01.pdf
The book he will present was mainly written in 2016, during a six-month stay at Uppsala University’s Centre for Russian and Eurasian Studies. At the outset of the current year, he was a visiting fellow at the Kennan institute in Washington, DC. He presently works as deputy editor for web-based news site ej.ru. He also serves as military analyst for the Novoe Vremya (“New Times”) magazine in Moscow.
The seminar is organized in cooperation with Uppsala Forum on Democracy, Peace and Justice.