Seminar "Identities and values in post-Maidan Ukraine"
- Datum: 29 maj, kl. 15.15–17.00
- Plats: Institute for Russian and Eurasian Studies (IRES) Gamla Torget 6, 4th floor, room 3576
- Föreläsare: Yaroslav Hrytsak is Professor of the Department of Modern and Contemporary History of Ukraine at the Ukrainian Catholic University.
- Arrangör: Institute for Russian and Eurasian Studies (IRES)
- Kontaktperson: Jevgenija Gehsbarga
- Telefon: 018 471 1630
This seminar will present and discuss the interplay between national protests in Ukraine known as Maidan, identity and value shift.
Character of the Ukrainian Euromaidan has been a subject of academic discussion since dramatic events of 2013 and the Russian aggression. Some see the Maidan as national protests, and claim that it brought to further strengthening of Ukrainian identity. Professor Hrytsak, however, will suggest an alternative perspective, namely, that the Maidan was not that much a precursor but rather a result of large-scale changes in Ukraine in 2000s, and could be better understood while focusing on value shift rather than identities. The central question is whether these changes will be sustainable, and what effect they can have on the future of Ukraine. The seminar will be based on recent social surveys in 2013-2017.